Contact The Author: rdlbarton@gmail.com

Ron. Lavalette's work has appeared in these fine publications:



Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Rust, Pepper

Red Wolf Journal (Online) January 2023

RWJ Winter/Spring Anthology (Online) March 2023

Red Wolf Editions: Visitations (Online Author’s Collection) March 2023

Red Wolf Journal   (Online Leaflet)  March 2024

It’s hard, living here, not to
want to be a tender poet, not to
wax poetic and rhapsodic when I
step out onto the deck at dawn
as the last tendrils of fog fade,
the first birdsong of the day
rising, a delicate prelude; hard
not to give in, not to write
about wispy cloud and fragile
early leaf unfurling in early Spring.
 

But I’m not like that. No.
Morning’s birdsong is for nerds.
Not for me the silver sunrise; rust is
where I really live. Give me instead
the mid-afternoon call of ravenous
crows, swooping down on carrion.
 

I can tell you this much:
faced with a panful of fresh-caught
trout, I’ll choose the coarse-ground
pepper every time, leave the lilt of
saffron for some other kind of poet.